Saturday, January 14, 2012

Is it my sanding or the primer!?

Im in the process of painting my old beach cruiser bike and im finally done with the sanding process. I bought my primer at home depot its called Rust-Oleum Painters Touch Spray Primer in grey color form. I gave it 2 coats and waited 24 hours until it was dry. I go over it with 1200 grit wet or dry sand paper and the primer is coming off!!! Am I sanding to hard or is this primer garbage.This primer is for any material including metal.... If this primer sucks what is the best primer I can buy on the market?!Is it my sanding or the primer!?
The initial pre-primed surface should be washed. That is one reason, that primer may not stick to it.



Also, you have to use the same type of paint on another painted surface. You can't use latex on top of an oil paint. It won't adhere to it at all. Oil paint lays on top of oil paint. Latex paint on top of latex paint. The paint will just dry on top of the other paint and then peel off.



Was there an original paint on the surface? Sometimes, it is recommended you rough it up a little bit with sanding before you apply primer, but I have gotten away with this in the past.



I recently used the Rustoleum primer (not sure if it was exactly the same as yours to repaint a/c grills in my house) and had no problems.Is it my sanding or the primer!?
I don't know much about metal. But on timber its normal I used 180 grit with primer. As long as you use Metal paint it will be fine.



How badly is it coming off? Completely?

No comments:

Post a Comment