Saturday, January 14, 2012

What is your Pup-Mobile?

I'm suddenly in the market for a new vehicle, and have no idea where to start. One of my biggest considerations is the dogs - I have a large Greyhound and a Mini-Schnauzer, and my new ride needs room for them. They're buckled in, so I need something that is easy to move around in.

My previous car was a Olds Alero (like a Pontiac Grand Am) which was ok, but a little small for the Grey.

I'm now in a 3/4-ton Dodge Ram Club Cab, which has all the size, but is nearly impossible to get the dogs in and buckled up.

I was leaning towards AWD/4WD due to the weather in my area, although I don't have far to drive, so it isn't a necessity. Decent MPG is a must (at least 25 mpg av).



Resituating the dogs is not an option. The reason we're all still alive is because we (yes, all three of us) were wearing seatbelts.What is your Pup-Mobile?
I got a RAV4 this year and I LOOOVE it!! I get roughly 24MPG, and it is much easier to cart the Lab around town. I bought mine from Hertz car sales and got a great deal.



We do keep our dog in the cargo area in the back, but it looks like there are belt options in the cargo area if you do use the doggy seatbelts.
Since I'm 16, I share a vehicle with my brother...a 98 Ford Explorer. My parents dont want to cart the creatures in their cars, so we use this one, and do fine in it.



I'm saving up for an Escape though. Still an SUV, but much better mileage and not as massive.What is your Pup-Mobile?
Our Nissan Murano averages (according to manufacturer) 25 mpg on highways... We have a large doberman pinscher and a miniature pinscher. They both also get buckled in, and the miniature gets a booster seat combo so she can look out the window. We absolutely believe that dogs as much as children need seatbelts.



The murano even has a handy special seatbelt strap meant for baby booster seats (which we use to attach our doberman's seatbelt to).



Our dogs have no trouble getting into or out of the car, except our doberman who will possibly need a ramp or something in the future (due to worsening arthritis).
Mine is a Jeep Cherokee. It's not so good with gas being expensive, but fits my 240 lbs worth of dogs perfectly and gives them enough room (two of them) so they're not all over each other on long rides.What is your Pup-Mobile?
Chevy Express 15 passenger van with two rear seats out and crates installed. Still seats 5, and lots of crates for safe travel.

No comments:

Post a Comment