Saturday, January 14, 2012

What color is my hair now that I used henna again?

My natural hair color is medium brown, but in the past five years or so I started growing grey hairs. Two months ago, I dyed my hair with a mixture of red and black henna hair dye powders that came in a box from a market called India Sweets and Spices. After the white roots started showing again a month later, I went to Alice Beauty supply and bought a box of Colora Henna Chestnut brown hair dye and dyed my hair. It was a beautiful chestnut brown and the white hairs became golden in the sunlight. Today I thought of using an old box of black henna hair dye and dyed my hair only to have the roots come out blue!!! My golden hairs were still the same color, but the bulk of my hair looks like a darker brown/black, which I like. I think I will leave my hair as it is for a few weeks, then dye it again, but should I use brown hair dye, black, or red?What color is my hair now that I used henna again?
Possibly what happened is that the old box, which by black henna meant indigo, was so old that the indigo wouldn't dye well. I think you should research henna and indigo a little more, and find out how many botanicals are mislabeled as henna. Henna is only red to brownish red, but more orange with light applications. Indigo is black, but old or poor quality indigo will leave blue grey stains as opposed to blue black.



Henna also needs more time to release its dye, often many hours or a full day. Indigo, however, needs only minutes, and the disparity can mean you get more of one dye and less of the other.



Box mixes that are red or auburn are usually just henna, browns are usually henna and a little indigo and/or walnut powder. Black is a lot of indigo, a little henna, or the terrible henna and black hair dye, PPD. If your henna has PPD, trash it and buy something you know is pure.
  • d3100
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment